List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE3 defaults
From:       William Leese <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2003-08-17 8:22:58

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

>/me straps on the hip-waders and enters the waters...
>
>On Saturday 16 August 2003 05:39, Kai Lahmann wrote:
>

>>Am Sunday 17 August 2003 01:29 schrieb Neil Stevens:
>>

>>>No, I don't agree.  Having two exra pager buttons in kicker doesn't
>>>"confront" the user with anything.
>>>

>>is the user gets on another screen by mistake, his chances to find back are
>>bigger, if there are fewer virtual desktops.
>>

>how so? the pager is smaller with 2 vs 4 desktops, and the user still needs to
>have the _same_ knowledge either way. HOW does having 2 desktops make it
>easier to navigate than 4?!

When a new user starts to work with virtual desktops I believe having 2
instead of 4 will improve learnability. I don't think people often
multitask between more than 2 or 3 programs. If the user has 4 desktops
and decides to make first use of the feature then I believe having 2
virtual desktops will be more comfortable than 4.

>>>Having a quickbrowser in the K MEnu
>>>doesn't "confront" the user with anything.
>>>

>>it adds an entry in the menu the user doesn't understand. So the user feals
>>less compfortable there.
>>(not to mention that I don't think there are many peoble using it)
>>

>Neil is, IMHO, right on this one, a LOT of people use the Quickbrowser. this
>is based both on my doing user support on IRC as well as supporting people
>locally on KDE. it's quite handy and really hardly in the way...

I don't dispute it's usefulness. It is in the way however. My screen has
a resolution of 1280x1024. KMenu takes up 70% of it's height.

- wvl