List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: relevantive - korganizer
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2003-08-14 23:35:20

On Friday 15 August 2003 01:09, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> i think the challenge is that people have so many ways of entering free text
> dates,

I think that it could be made to work, especially when coupled with a feedback
mechanism where the user would immediately see if the computer got it wrong
or not. Unfortunely I don't have any well tested Proof of Concept code lying
around to do that.

> and when you add l10n on top of that........ the US Army can at least
> rely on English, and can also dictate pretty rigid data input standards.
>
> speaking of l10n, i wonder if the order of the widgets in your UI file would
> need to be dynamically changed around for different locales, to reflect
local
> date input mechanisms? i have a feeling the answer would be "yes"...

I suspect that there is a complete KDE widget that can handle it. (The problem
then comes the widget's, and not mine. ;-> )

> having a RO text label showing the date in localized format with the pop-up
> calendar seems like a decent idea to me?

The cost is that you can't enter dates in directly, which is a pity. But yeah,
your idea is looking like the best option right now.

> > (*) Play sound: [linux_pronouciation.wav_______] [Choose...]
> >
> > showing what is currently entered.
>
> that's fine... just enable the widgets associated with the currently
selected
> option and disable the rest.. this is pretty common usage...

...the question is where to fit such a beast. =]

good night,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/