List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       Gérard Delafond <gerard () delafond ! org>
Date:       2003-08-10 21:48:34

Le Dimanche 10 Août 2003 14:07, Henrique Pinto a écrit :

> And, btw, how does your grandma feels when she discovers a menu entry
> changed it's place? In my school, we disabled the most frequently used
> applications list because users were getting confused by menu entries not
> being in the same place.
>
> How would your proposal eliminate the "my menu changed w/o telling me"
> problem? It is one of the most common problems I know now. In my school, I
> had to disable dynamic menu entries everywhere in KDE, because most of our
> userbase (around 600 people) was getting confused by it.

On some other systems, I used to use -and to write- some programs where
menuitems changed their name when the state of the object they were acting on
changed.
Example : an "Open" menu becomes a "Close" menu when the object is open.

I never saw such menu entries in KDE. I think they are more convenient and
intuitive than an "Open" menu + a check in front of it.

Gerard