List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2003-08-10 13:55:30

Op zondag 10 augustus 2003 15:08, schreef Henrique Pinto:
> On Sunday 10 August 2003 10:00, Adrian Bool wrote:
> > What if KDE should bring up a dialog box when it notices an
> > application that is not already in the ''most recent used" list being
> > used regularly - suggesting that this application should be placed in
> > the list?

IMO only a pop-up for asking to change the default application to open a file
type with is needed...

> If the dialog could be disabled, yes.

...but also possible to dissable. (Don't ask this again e.g.) But normally you
don't get this pop-up more than 1 time because normally you use mostly always
the same application to open a file type. This will result IMO in a "how
longer it runs, how better it runs" (feeling).

> Many people hate when unwanted
> dialogs pop in their desktop,  stealing focus...

And much people are too lazy to spend time to change the default application
manually...like me :D

> But we would need two
> "disable options":
> one that would always add applications to the menu and one that would never
> do so.
>
> > The dialog could also present a list of those applications already in
> > the list with check boxes to allow the user to reduce entries in that
> > list should they wish?
>
> I don't think this is a good idea.

I Agree.

> Such a dialog should be simple.
> What about puting this functionallity in the menu editor?

I Agree.

> > The items in this list of applications could be draggeable in order
> > that people may set their own preferred order.
>
> Agreed. And so should be the whole menu, not only this part.

Not agreed: this functionality should be done by another dialog like now
already possible with the K-menu (of course there are usability problems with
this editor that needs to be solved).

Why?
o People don't use this functionality much.
o People will not know that this functionality exists.
o People will get disappointed if they click wrong and so change their menu
without knowing why it changed. (They will feel they have no control and this
will results in fear when using KDE.)
o Doing it in another application makes it possible to add advanced
functionallity in a simple and usable way. (e.g.: we can add the possibillity
to change the actions in the Actions >> submenu.)
o It will be easier to disable this functionallity with kiosk without having
users complaining that their is a bug in their menus (they can't edit it).
o Maybe more, who knows :)

- --
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.