List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2003-08-10 13:35:56

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 05:24:03PM -0400, Matthew Bonyak wrote:
> On Friday, Aug 8, 2003, at 16:33 America/New_York, William Leese wrote:
> >I'm wondering if most users really use preview. In what way does
> >'Preview'
> >differ from opening the file in an application? All it does is open
> >the file
> >in a 'lite' application.
> Every time I introduce somebody to KDE, I devote a great deal of time
> to explaining the difference between Open and Preview.  It's time for
> Preview to go.  Preview annoys most users more than anything.

Common user often don't know even what is RMB menu. I don't want to make
RMB menu suitable for "computer illiterate" users because it won't be
usable for me. But in current state it is also barely usable.

> I think Actions (call it anything else, it doesn't really matter) is an
> unnecessary submenu.  Open, Open With.., and that's all we need.  I do
> like your idea of View and Edit, as well, only in place of the existing
> system completely -- but would that leave us with Edit With?  As for
> Encrypt File, I'm almost thinking that's wasted menu space.  Simplicity
> in menus is nice.

Too much userfriendliness and it is useless.
"Actions >" is a nice place to get fast access for options like packing,
encrypting and so on.

m.