List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror - suggestions
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2003-07-11 22:02:06

On Friday 11 July 2003 02:22, Trian Karayiannis wrote:
> -- The main toolbar wasn't fit for that because I could adjust most things,
> but I could not remove some of the buttons (cervisia for one).

That's because Cervisia is not part of Konqui. You would have to deactivate
Cervisia for that. (Or request that Cervisia does not show a button by
default, since it is a rather advanced app)

> The initial configuration was a bit tiring for me. There were lots of
> buttons, lots of colours and hence a bit of a clutter. I found that I was
> really using only a small amount of these most of the time, so the rest
> could well be placed in a toolbar that could stay hidden and be enabled at
> the click of a button or two. I also keep the menu bar hidden for the same
> reasons.

You could argue to remove some buttons on the default config, then make
bugs.kde.org feature request. Hiding the menu bar is certainly not an issue,
it just confuses users. A feature that is not visible does not exist (for
most users).

> One other thing I had in mind about this was to put the navigation buttons
> in a single line, rather than 4. I am no C++ programmer, but (from my
> experience with Java) I would imagine this is easily doable. So, instead of
> Up, Back, Forward and Reload taking one line each, they could take 1 line
> altogether.

That would be confusing (since it is completely nonstandard and no one expects
this), makes clicking much more difficult and not than easier (Fitts law) and
is not that easy to implement, since QPopupMenu and friends do not support
this.

bye...