List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror - suggestions
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2003-07-12 16:22:52

On Friday 11 July 2003 04:02, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Friday 11 July 2003 02:22, Trian Karayiannis wrote:
> > -- The main toolbar wasn't fit for that because I could adjust most
> > things, but I could not remove some of the buttons (cervisia for one).
>
> That's because Cervisia is not part of Konqui. You would have to deactivate
> Cervisia for that. (Or request that Cervisia does not show a button by
> default, since it is a rather advanced app)

other parts that aren't part of konqueror are fully customizable. this is a
limitation in the XMLUI usage where the viewmode_toolbar can not be
customized.

> You could argue to remove some buttons on the default config, then make
> bugs.kde.org feature request. Hiding the menu bar is certainly not an
> issue, it just confuses users. A feature that is not visible does not exist
> (for most users).

agreed

> > One other thing I had in mind about this was to put the navigation
> > buttons in a single line, rather than 4. I am no C++ programmer, but

> That would be confusing (since it is completely nonstandard and no one
> expects this),

"No one expects the Spanish inquisition!" ;-) but seriously, and to play the
devil's advocate, i don't know how terribly confusing it would be. in fact,
it may be immediately apparent to users due to being a reflection of the
toolbar and that the right click menu is a power user feature anyways.

> makes clicking much more difficult and not than easier
> (Fitts law)

well, the first item would still be (close to being) under the mouse, and one
could make the icons 22x22 or what-have-you and thereby increase the target
size.

this would also be balanced out by the fact that they would be similar to the
toolbar and make the menu smaller.

> and is not that easy to implement, since QPopupMenu and friends
> do not support this.

actually, this wouldn't be too hard with QPopupMenu at all, as you can insert
widgets into a menu. so you create a widget with the four icons, mimicking
the toolbar look, and pop it in as the first item.

i'd be happy to test this feature out locally on users great and small if
someone were to code it. Trian?

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

KDE: The 'K' is for 'kick ass'