List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Observations on the new KWord startup dialog
From:       Nathaniel Turner <nturner () cancerprev ! org>
Date:       2003-05-29 21:23:59

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 11:05 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 May 2003 04:25, Charles de Miramon wrote:
> > Why should I get the choice between A4 / Legal / Letter size of paper ?
> > In France, you can't buy in a shop Legal size paper only A4 and ....
>
> i can think of a couple of counter points... each category should remember
> the last selected item, so you shouldn't have to fumble more than once.
> alternatively, we could offer paper size as an option in the third panel.
> but this would be an annoyance for most, and simply removing the size
> picking makes it unclear for first timers and annoying for travellers ....

I'm glad Charles brought this up, as I was thinking about it too the other
day.  IMHO, KWord shouldn't have to ask you what paper size to use -- that
information can be determined from the locale (LC_PAPER, /etc/papersize).
This should at least be used to determine which size is preselected the first
time a user see this dialog.

As for travellers, when I'm in a foreign country on a foreign computer, I'm
probably also going to be printing stuff on a foreign printer, so using the
computer's locale to determine paper size would usually be appropriate in
this case too.

But this isn't really a big deal.  And I'm not really being all that
constructive, so I'll go away now.  =)

[Anecdotally, 99% of the time, I just want to create a new blank document in
the appropriate paper size for my locale, and I want to do it without having
to think much.  Hmm... IIRC, this is the default behaviour in some other word
processors... ;-) ]

--
Nathaniel W. Turner
http://www.houseofnate.net/