List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: System notifications configuration in control center
From:       Poletti Don <Don.Poletti () comverse ! com>
Date:       2003-05-28 15:28:03

>When you open control center -> system notifications, you are presented
>with the 'KDE system guard' notifications by default. I don't
>think this is
>what most users expect, they expect 'KDE system notifications'.

I find this dialog to be less than Ideal. What is worse is if the
whole dialog is "system notifications" then how can you have a
subset that is also "system notifications" what does that make the
other categories?

>In general the usability of this window is bad, IMHO. The
>droplist is as
>wide as the window, which makes it look like a title bar.
>Visually you then
>to skip this as meta information. Maybe it should be a tabbed
>window, or a
>more narrow droplist.

Not tabbed that would be worse.

>Speaking of control center: shouldn't 'Desktop' be on top of the list
>instead of 'Appearrance & Themes'? For instance, when you work
>from the top
>down, you first get to choose the wallpaper of your desktops,
>even before
>you configured how many desktops you actually want.

I believe it is list alphabetically. This makes it easier to find things
IMO. We should jsut be concerned with the first time someone opens the
control center but how to make it easier everytime. There is no one way
that all people will do things in the same order so aranging the gui in
an attempt to make it easier is pretty much guess work.