List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: =?iso-8859-1?q?TOM
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2003-05-22 18:11:06

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 04:09, Roger Larsson wrote:
> Debate List:
> * task entry format
> 	Application name has to be a part.
> 		For support reasons if for no other reason. Think international support.
> 		Try to describe or deduce what menu item to hit without the app. name
> 		(especially since the icon depends on the current theme)

"Click on the Email entry". the task name becomes a surrogate for the app
name. does the typical user really need to know that the application's name
is KMail in the menu? after all, once they launch it, it says "KMail" in the
window title.

(right now, the menu just follows the menu settings from the control panel. so
this is configurable. but we're talking about defaults, right? =)

> * Run A Command...
> 	Why is it needed on the head level anyway?

a) because it's a common action
b) people are used to it being there

>  Alt-F2 is much quicker.

sure, if you know it's there. many don't.

> 	My suggestion is to place it on a sub menu.

which one?

> Then ask yourself - do we want text entry in a sub menu? (I think the answer
>  is NO...)

not if it's a submenu, no...

> Thinks to add to the Debate List
> * Keyboard shortcut should be visible in some way.

well, we just need to define shortcuts really =)

> * Can every task be described with only one short line?

hopefully....

> Join those two with:
> * Can we use tooltips for menu items? Example:
>
> "Run A Command...	Alt-F2
>  Starts any executable program, can also open an URL.
>  Please try with http://www.kde.org or gg:KDE"

so if you hover over a menu item long enough it pops up a tooltip? i wonder
how annoying that would get ... or if anyone would hover long enough to see
them if they didn't know they were there... hmmmmm...

how about a more radical idea: what if when you moused over an entry and it
got focus it would expand and a comment would appear right IN the menu? there
would be some reasonable timeout to avoid this behaviour triggering when the
user was simply moving from one part of the menu to another....

> (read from the application.desktop?
>  the shortcut information needs to be generated, not done in window menu -
> = try
> to redefine Alt-F4, or to define another one)

calls to KStdAccel would likely suffice.

> Anyway - when we know what information to present for the user,
> the format of the taskgroup might have become an easy pick.

can you elaborate on this?

> > i REALLY want this to be a highly polished piece for 3.2, so the more
> > constructive criticism (and, goddess willing, patches ;) i can get the
> > better...
>
> Since you ask for it, from the file TASKGROUPS:
> "[Task2]
> Name=VNC
> DesktopFile=Internet/keystone.desktop"
>
> VNC  a task? It sounds more like a disease :-)

that's a test group, not a group for production use. if you notice, one of the
items on the TODO is to create actual taskgroups =) since this involves
nothing more than a text editor and some imagination, this would be a great
task for non-coders to try their hand at....

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

KDE: The 'K' is for 'kick ass'
http://www.kde.org       http://promo.kde.org/3.1/feature_guide.php