List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability Report Guide - 1st Draft
From:       Eric Ellsworth <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2003-02-25 16:01:51

> We don't *need* valid HTML but it is preferable especially for the new
> design of kde.org and selected subdomains with the release of KDE 3.1.1.
OK.  I'll see if I can fix it at somepoint soon.

> I'll try to have a look from an editorial point of view sometime tomorrow.
Great - look forward to your comments.

> I also have been thinking about a form interface to fill out bug reports
> and don't think it would be too difficult to accomplish, even dynamically
> basing it on the DTD, it would of course take a bit of grey matter to do
> but it is do-able. :-)
I'm going to take a crack at this in the next couple days - I don't think it
should be too bad with PHP and sessions.  My inclination with sessions would
be to store the entire text of the document as text in a set of variables.
Any problems with this approach?

> I think we should go further than just piggy backing on the submit bug
> interface though and add another menu option to the global help menu along
> the lines of "Suggest Usability Improvement". I'm sure many people have
> ideas as to how to make things work better but don't necessarily see it as
> a bug so they don't end up reporting it.
I thought about that, but I think we should go a little slower - build the
form interface and publicize it via the u.k.o website and perhaps other
support channels first, and see what kind of responses we get.

I really like the idea of an open report form submission - it pushes usability
more towards open sourcing.  But I doubt it will solve the problem of getting
feedback from novices.

Cheers,

Eric