List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability Report Guide - 1st Draft
From:       Jason Bainbridge <jaseone () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2003-02-25 15:22:12

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 02:04, Eric Ellsworth wrote:
> Jason,
> 	A little while back, we'd discussed having a guide to writing usability
> reports on the usability.k.o site.  That guide is attached, along with an
> HTML-ized copy of the usability report it.  I've misused <span>s all over
> the place, so if we need valid HTML I'll need to fix that up.  Would love
> any editorial advice you or anyone else has on the contents.
>
> Also, I'm not sure if we discussed having a form interface to fill out
> usability reports, but I thought an in interesting way to solicit feedback
> might be to put a link to such a form into the "submit bug" interface.
> We'd probably get reports that were a lot less focused, but if it gave us
> good feedback, it would be worth weeding that stuff out.  Do folks think
> this would work?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Eric
Eric,

We don't *need* valid HTML but it is preferable especially for the new design
of kde.org and selected subdomains with the release of KDE 3.1.1. I'll try to
have a look from an editorial point of view sometime tomorrow.

I also have been thinking about a form interface to fill out bug reports and
don't think it would be too difficult to accomplish, even dynamically basing
it on the DTD, it would of course take a bit of grey matter to do but it is
do-able. :-)

I think we should go further than just piggy backing on the submit bug
interface though and add another menu option to the global help menu along
the lines of "Suggest Usability Improvement". I'm sure many people have ideas
as to how to make things work better but don't necessarily see it as a bug so
they don't end up reporting it.

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge				|	KDE - Conquer Your Desktop
Maintainer - http://usability.kde.org	|	webmaster@usability.kde.org