List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: embedded viewer vs external program
From:       Florian Merz <FlorianMerz () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-02-25 15:33:24

> > Problem:
> > The embedded viewers are great for online browsing i think, but they are
> > rather annoying for file managing. It would be nice if the user could
> > change the behavior for webbrowsing and filemanagement seperatly.
> >
> > Example:
> > When i'm browsing my file system I expect to be able to edit a text
> > document when I single click on it. I expect a seperate program to be
> > opened. When i'm browsing the web, on the other hand, I don't expect any
> > other program to be opened. Everything should happend in the browser
> > window. Embedded viewers are a great thing in this case.
> >
> > Possible Solutions:
> > KDE should have seperate settings for online and offline browsing.
>
> This seems more like a Konqueror wish than a usability issue.

I think it has a lot to do with usability. Read this usability test:
http://usability.kde.org/activity/testing/firststeps/
On page 3 of this test  Sebastian Biot describes why users have problems with
the embedded viewer of plain textfiles in file management mode. Thex try to
open a plain text file to change it, but all they get is a read-only embedded
viewer. I know how to change my settings to open an external text editor but
I'm still not satisfied with it. This change means everytime I open a
textfile while browsing the web a new window is opened, too. This doesn't
happen with HTML (which is text, too) and this shouldn't happen with plain
text either.
I admit it is about konqueror only, but it is about konquerors usability and
as konqueror is an integral part of KDE I think this very well belongs here.
I decided to post it here first, because we should think about how we can
improve usability first, before new features are included in konqueror.

regards
Florian Merz