List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Sound KCM UI design
From:       Eric Ellsworth <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2003-02-24 19:52:14

On Monday 24 February 2003 01:56 pm, John Levon wrote:
> Actually, I've realised that :
>
> 	[/] Show volume icon in system tray
>
> 	Clicking icon opens | volume control |
>
> 	                    | mixer controls |
>
> is probably better (i.e. a combo box not radio set) ...
Sounds good - I'll update the UI files.

> > get the UI to be clear on, is that aRTS can be heavy enough that one has
> > to change its process settings or turn it off altogether.
>
> Then the tab should focus on solely these two options IMHO.

I based the troubleshooting on my own difficulties with aRTS under RH6 and
Mandrake 8.1.  RH6 was on an old machine, and aRTS made the machine
unacceptably slow.  On MDK8.1, aRTS would get corrupt every 10 min to 2
hours, and I frequently adjusted its parameters to try to keep it from
breaking.  Troubleshooting also involved changing how it passed sound to the
system.  That how I split those options off from arts network transparency
and error messages, and custom sound devices.

> Certainly I would prefer to have the settings save automatically.
> Restore is important though, so the user can experiment.
>They will want
> to play with things, then *visually* get back to sensible mixer
> settings...
Well, one option is to have another mixer for saved volumes, but this seems
like overkill.
What if we called them "default volumes"?  Then saving -> Set Default Volumes,
and loading -> Restore Default Volumes, and the login choice becomes a combo
box:
On login, restore volumes to 	| Default volumes|
						| Volumes from last session |

EE