List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Sound KCM UI design
From:       John Levon <levon () movementarian ! org>
Date:       2003-02-25 13:09:10

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 02:52:14PM -0500, Eric Ellsworth wrote:

> I based the troubleshooting on my own difficulties with aRTS under RH6 and
> Mandrake 8.1.  RH6 was on an old machine, and aRTS made the machine
> unacceptably slow.  On MDK8.1, aRTS would get corrupt every 10 min to 2
> hours, and I frequently adjusted its parameters to try to keep it from
> breaking.  Troubleshooting also involved changing how it passed sound to the
> system.  That how I split those options off from arts network transparency
> and error messages, and custom sound devices.

Well, I agree that's a problem, *but* I do not think it is wise to
optimize the UI for  troubleshooting (beyond altering resource
consumption via the slider, which I think has a real utility).

> Well, one option is to have another mixer for saved volumes, but this seems
> like overkill.
> What if we called them "default volumes"?  Then saving -> Set Default Volumes,
> and loading -> Restore Default Volumes, and the login choice becomes a combo
> box:
> On login, restore volumes to 	| Default volumes|
> 						| Volumes from last session |

Still too complicated IMHO. How about :

	---------------------
	| Embedded mixer here
	|--------------------
	[ Restore ]   [Restore default settings]

Where the behaviour is :

o Restore will restore to the settings before the dialog was opened.
  User can play with the settings from what they usually have, then
  click Restore to get back to what they really want

o Restore default settings is a "factory reset" - the values are changed
  to the "sane" settings as KDE is shipped, or whatever

o quitting the dialog will save the given settings to be restored at
  login (i.e. the settings are stick)

Do you see a problem with this ?

regards
john