List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror's tabs
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2003-02-20 18:31:52

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:42:43AM +0100, Philippe Fremy wrote:
> James, I'll integrate your remarks next week into the Konqueror usability
> study that has been started. Or maybe we could create a new one just for
> tabs ?
> I underline that adding tab to browsing is not just a "I code a feature and
> forget". Tab changes completely the way you browse, open and close web
> pages. It has to receive a lot of attention before being optimally usable.

One more thing about tabs. This is probably feature request but also
usability thing:

1.
Konqueror settings -> Behavior -> Misc options

There should be not only "Open directories in separate windows" but also
"Open directories in new tabs" point. Because these two points are
exclusive. one of them should be shadowed if second is marked (as is
with "Show file tips" and "Show previews in file tips".

Corresponding image could be zoom for two tabs with dir icons
and file:/home... URLs.

If you think surfing web with tabs is nice try surfing your HDD with
tabs. It really, really rocks.

2.
Also in Misc options "box" three tips with word "Show" have accelerators
with "S". I am suggesting "t" for "Show file tips" and "p" for "Show
previews in file tips".

Misc options "box"
Problem 		Solution
Show file tips 	t
Show previews in file tips p

Also problem with "Open directories..." accelerator (this is O). This is
the same as for OK and pressing Alt-O switches focus between OK button
and "Open directories..." checkbox. When someone is accustomed to
instant marking of checkbox this can be confusing.

Open directories... e or i. If "i" "e" could be used for Delete in "Ask
Confirmation"

In "Ask Confirmation For" "box" are no accelerators for:
Problem 		Solution
Move to trash 	v
Delete 			no free letter
Shred 			r