List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE audio mixer
From:       Eric Ellsworth <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2003-02-20 18:23:48

Hi John,
	Good points on the location of the audio mixer.  I've taken the liberty of
writing this up as a usability report, with some additional suggestions -
mainly that the mixer be converted to a KCM.  The main window of the KMix app
would become a wrapper for this KCM, with the same systray item.

The report is attached.

While validating it I noticed that if DTD is expecting a different order, the
validation fails.  I'll look into fixing this in the DTD.

Also, I think we should add distribution to os, to avoid getting bogged down
in distro-specific build issues.

Cheers,

Eric

["audio-kcm-usability.xml" (text/xml)]

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE report SYSTEM "http://usability.kde.org/DTD/kde_usability_report.dtd">
<report>
<author name="Eric Ellsworth" email="whalesuit@softhome.net"/>
<author name="John Levon" email="levon@movementarian.org"/>
<application name="KMix" version="3.1.0"/>
<os name= "Linux" version = "2.4.20" />
<interface name="KDE" version="3.1.0"/>

 <issue severity = "medium" bugreference = "10276">
 <title> KMix should be a Control Center Module </title>
 <description> When a user attempts to set the sound volume, a sensible presumption \
is that he will find volume setting in the Control Center: Mac and Windows both find \
volume controls in the Control Panels, and volume is a setting controlling the \
desktop environment. KControlCenter, contains Sound Sytem, which control options for \
the sound server, but does not control volume. There is no volume control in \
KControl, and all the options there relate to how the sound server provides sounds to \
KDE. Volume control is handled by a separate application, KMix, which must be \
launched from the K-Menu. </description>  <reproduction>
 <step> Open KControl </step>
 <step> Browse to Sound and Multimedia, then to Sound System. </step>
 <step> Observe options related for configuration sound server, but not setting \
volume. Also observe that Mixer tab does not contains volume settings, but only \
settings for probing mixers. </step>  </reproduction> <solution> Convert KMix from a \
separate program to a KCM so it can be added to . Embed this into KControl either as \
a tab called "Volume" in the Sound System KCM or as a separate KCM called "Volumes"   \
<rationale> Sound volume is a setting affecting the desktop environment. Sound server \
and Mixer setup are options for more advanced users, </rationale>  </solution>

</issue> </report>