List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror's tabs
From:       David Hugh-Jones <hughjonesd () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-02-20 11:06:28

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 10:42, Philippe Fremy wrote:

> I think providing some of these 'one browser window for everything' feature
> would be very interesting with Konqueror. In fact, the concept of one
> browsing window for everything has a lot more advantages than disadvantages
> for my usage of the web.

It sounds like we might want to consider a generic "use tabs/use
windows" preference for new documents. This could apply equally to new
windows opened from javascript; middle-clicking on a link etc.

There are issues (e.g. some javascript-opened windows are meant to be
small) but the convenience win is quite big.

I suggest that starting konqueror from outside an existing konqueror
window should always open a new window (I assume this is inevitable
anyway - konqueror is never a KUniqueApplication, is it, even with
"minimize memory usage" turned on?) Equally Ctrl+N and Ctrl+shift+N
should always map the same way to "window/tab". And when a user wants
more control, both tab and window should be available from the (sigh)
RMB.

Dave