List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror's tabs
From:       Philippe Fremy <phil () freehackers ! org>
Date:       2003-02-20 10:42:43

On Thursday 20 February 2003 03:37, James wrote:
> [ Konqueror tabs have many problem ]

I agree 100% with you.

One annoying thing is the resizing of the window when you switch to one tab
open, which is considered by the developer as a full page, to two tab open.
There is kind of annoying flashing here. The same when you go from two tab
to one tab.

Opera allows to have an empty shell when you close all tabs, so no resizing.
In fact, Konqueror also have an empty shell when you open it without URL.

The rationale behind Opera is that Opera is the one browsing window that you
use all the time. So if you want to see a web page, you will go to the
Opera window. This has a number of advantages and a few disadvantages.

Advantages:
- - all you web windows are always in the same app
- - if you click on a link in a mail, it opens up as a tab in the current
opera or fire Opera. Current konqueror and mozilla behaviour is to open one
new window for every new mail click. This makes me say that they still do
not fully understand the interest of tabs.
- - if you close the opera window with tons of links and re-open it, it
remembers all your tabs. Great feaure. Sometimes you close a window by
accident. With opera, there is no punishment.
- - if opera crashes, you can just re-open it and it remembers all your links.
So no penalty with crashing.
- - when a site opens a javascript popup, it is kept inside Opera

Disadvantages:
- - there are cases when you want a few browser windows, each containing many
related sites in tabs. You don't want all them in one window.

I think providing some of these 'one browser window for everything' feature
would be very interesting with Konqueror. In fact, the concept of one
browsing window for everything has a lot more advantages than disadvantages
for my usage of the web.

James, I'll integrate your remarks next week into the Konqueror usability
study that has been started. Or maybe we could create a new one just for
tabs ?

I underline that adding tab to browsing is not just a "I code a feature and
forget". Tab changes completely the way you browse, open and close web
pages. It has to receive a lot of attention before being optimally usable.

	regards,

	Philippe