List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New actions for group all/allFiles
From:       kded () jensbenecke ! de
Date:       2003-02-03 23:33:17

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 01:23:31PM +0100, Matthias Posseldt wrote:

> There are actions. These are called service menus and you can configure
> them by creating files in kde/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus. A sample:
>
> ----- snip -----
> [Desktop Entry]
> ServiceTypes=application/x-bzip2
> Actions=bunzip2

Hi,

I've been using servicetypes for quite some time now but I still miss
three things. I'm also a little afraid that with all the options and
features KDE's menus will become too crowded with entries. Even now it
takes me a second each time to find "Delete" in the context menu, and
I've been using KDE exclusively since 1.0beta4.

So: Is it possible to

	a) generate _sub_menus with the desktop actions?
	   i.e. "Compress files with ... ->" (zip, tar.gz, tar.bz2, ...)

	b) generate conditional menus with the desktop actions
	   (perhaps: if the .desktop file is executable, it will be
	   executed with a set of parameters instead and STDOUT
	   will be parsed)

	c) _hide_ global servicetype entries for _some_ users (or hosts),
	   (i.e. I have k3b installed so Konqueror shows "Make ISO
	   Image" in the directory submenu, but not everyone has read
	   access to the CD burner so not everyone finds this option
	   useful.

c) would be a practical example for b): Show only when user has write
access to the (configured) CD burner device. This could be solved with a
simple shell script that reads the k3b configuration and checks the /dev
entry.

--
mfg, Jens Benecke

http://www.hitchhikers.de: Europas Mitfahrzentrale seit 1998
Fahren Sie zusammen, sparen Sie Geld - unkompliziert und schnell!
NEU: Jetzt mit kostengünstiger, umfassender Unfallversicherung!