List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: BeOS and KDE compared: screenshots of trash and file context menu
Date:       2003-01-27 23:31:54

> I also think that "Delete" should not be in a standard menu as this is a
> destructive action you would like to make sure the user doesn't do by
> mistake. It would be better if the delete behavior could be a setting in
> "Properties" dialog in Trash. (see previous mail)

Destructive but commonly used and thus should be in the root of the context
menu. People will be more annoyed if they have to trudge through unnecessary
(in their eyes) menus to get at what they often use than if they click delete
by mistake. I know they could lose a file but there is a delete confirmation
dialog and if the user has decided not to be prompted on deletion, then that
was the risk they have chosen to take!

> I also think that making a file go away, either by selecting your "Delete"
> item or "Move To"->"Trash" is very different from moving files in general.
> To the user this is a removal action not a move action.

Agreed.

> If we have Copy To, and Move To I would also like to have Link To. Even
> though it gives us one more menu item, it sort of belong there.

It might be on the same lines but IMO linking isn't common enough an action to
justify bloating the context menu.

>I also suggest reordering Move To and Copy To so that the most used choise
comes
> first.

>  [Open]
>  [Open With ..]
>  [Add ins ..]
>  --------------
>  [Move To ..]  -> [Home..]
>  [Copy To ..]      [Root ,,,]
>  [Link To...  ]	  [Browse ...]
>  [Rename]          -------------
>  [Trash]		   [/last/selected/directory]
>  --------------
>  [Properties]

Sound suggestion. Something I've wished for in fact :)

> Here I removed the Clippboard mostly because I really don't understand what
> its for. I also added a Browse item to call up a file dialog where you
> could select a location.  By using a filedialog it is possible to move
> things to ftp and sftp servers  etc.  This is about the same thing  that
> the kuick konquerer plugin does right now.

The browse option is inspired and I have often wanted that option in the
moveto/copyto menus. I also want to agree with you about the clipboard as
there are too many ways to do the same things and cut/copy/paste aren't the
most intuitive ways to manipulate files since they don't behave exactly the
same way as the cut/paste system does for text manipulation. I'd like to see
cut/paste removed from file manipulation unless people select "Windows" mode
or whatever it is that's planned, but I know I'd be shouted down ;) Cut/paste
is perhaps to well-liked to be removed.

Max