List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: BeOS and KDE compared: screenshots of trash and file context menu
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2003-01-27 23:18:11

On Monday 27 January 2003 20.25, William Leese wrote:
> William Leese wrote:
> > Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> >> navigating through the submenus is not a particularly simple task,
> >
> > If presented properly this doesn't have to be a problem. For example
> > there would be a "Home", "Root" and "Mounts" / "Devices" (<-- not sure
> > about that one.. but I'm not familiar with KDE's stance on how to
> > present mounted devices).
> >
> > Hrm, wait a second. Why not:
> >
> > Copy to -> Clipboard
> > Move to -> Clipboard
>
> Just to get back on this. While it adds an extra click to the cut &
> paste process it allows people to move/copy things easily without having
> to resort to our (currently) slow and clunky (for simple file
> management) filemanager.
>
> A nice compromise I think. Ofcourse the "Clipboard" entry should be on
> top of the option list and easily recognisable. So you'd have something
> like:
>
> [Open]
> [Open With ..]
> [Add ins ..]
> --------------
> [Copy To ..]  -> [Clipboard]
> [Move To ..]     [Home]
> [Rename]         [Root]
> [Delete]         [Trash]
> --------------
> [Properties]
>
> This allows us to eliminate 'Copy', 'Cut', 'Paste'  and 'Move to Trash'.
>
> Thoughts?

It fills the same function as Apple spring loaded folders.
I'm not sure what the Clipboard does though.

I also think that "Delete" should not be in a standard menu as this is a
destructive action you would like to make sure the user doesn't do by
mistake. It would be better if the delete behavior could be a setting in
"Properties" dialog in Trash. (see previous mail)

I also think that making a file go away, either by selecting your "Delete"
item or "Move To"->"Trash" is very different from moving files in general.
To the user this is a removal action not a move action.

If we have Copy To, and Move To I would also like to have Link To. Even though
it gives us one more menu item, it sort of belong there. I also suggest
reordering Move To and Copy To so that the most used choise comes first.

 [Open]
 [Open With ..]
 [Add ins ..]
 --------------
 [Move To ..]  -> [Home..]
 [Copy To ..]      [Root ,,,]
 [Link To...  ]	  [Browse ...]
 [Rename]          -------------
 [Trash]		   [/last/selected/directory]
 [Properties]

Here I removed the Clippboard mostly because I really don't understand what
its for. I also added a Browse item to call up a file dialog where you could
select a location.  By using a filedialog it is possible to move things to
ftp and sftp servers  etc.  This is about the same thing  that the kuick
konquerer plugin does right now.

Regards
Uno Engborg