List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: BeOS and KDE compared: screenshots of trash and file context menu
Date:       2003-01-27 22:49:06

> That specific path would be manipulating the filename text directly.
> Or users could still use "Rename" from the "Edit" menu.
> I don't think we need four different ways to rename a file.

The problem would be that clicking the text to rename is hidden-functionality
in that usually you would do this with a menu (context or otherwise) so a
user would expect to use a menu to accomplish this. I know 60% of Windows
users just click on the text twice (slowly!), I do also when I use Windows.
Personally I find it a useful and logical functionality - but it's still
"hidden" and thus you need it in the menu. But therefore, as you say, why
redundantly replicate it in the context menu and the main menu? Personally, I
expect to be able to manipulate elements of that file from the context menu,
including being able to rename it.

> I hold Linux courses now and then, usually with KDE as GUI. So  I have
> watched quite a lot of people trying to rename files in KDE. If they
> haven't found out how to disable single click, they almost always open
> files by mistake as they try to manipulate the filename directly.

Which is a problem that should be possibly discussed. The default response
shouldn't be changed just because Windows users would expect that kind of
behaviour, however how often do people click the icon's text expecting
execution? Personally I see the icon as the "object", and the text as its
label and feel that even people who've never used a computer before would
probably see it the same way. If this is true might it be acceptable to allow
renaming of files in this way? Or would this just get annoying when you
misclick?

Max