List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2002-12-06 15:32:50

On Friday 06 December 2002 13:57, Ralph Gottesbuehren wrote:
> Am Freitag, 6. Dezember 2002 01:17 schrieb Datschge@gmx.net:
> > I'm voting against it for several reasons:
> >
> > -Left button dragging is the only way you can drag files in KDE so far.
> > Making the possibilities you have by dragging files invisible by default
> > is no good idea. Make it optional and keep the default just like it is
> > right now.
> >
> > -The left button dragging menu should show accelerator key. It was
> > pointed out that this is not possible cleanly so far which should be
> > considered a bug and fixed asap. After doing so users will see what keys
> > they can use to avoid the menu (and maybe optionally turn off the menu
> > altogether in the control center).
>
> You got my small little voice. I would miss my menu, the most comfortable
> way to avoid the use of my keyboard.
>
> i thought, that was the reason, they invented the mouse - that one doesn't
> need a keyboard for most actions.
> btw. how good is the key+mouse-solution, when you use kde on an embedded
> device, with only a pen?
>
> my wish: make it configurable / removable for those, who call themselve
> "power-user", but let it stay as it is now per default for the lazy of us.

You could also use the "Copy To..."  and "Move To..." intems in the RMB
menu if you like to mouse around. There is still no "Link To..." though.
By using these manuse it is very simple to move or copy a file to any place in
the filesystem.

However I find the top level choises of thes menus  a little too complex
I would like to exclude the "System Configuraton " entry or at least only
show it if the user is logged in as root. Another idea  could be to have the
same top level menu items that you have shortcut buttons for in the file
dialog apart from the "Browse.."  item

Regards
Uno Engborg