List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       Ralph Gottesbuehren <gottesbuehren () web ! de>
Date:       2002-12-06 18:40:20

Am Freitag, 6. Dezember 2002 15:22 schrieb Uno Engborg:

> If we make the popup optional  we should change the order of the menu items
> so they were ordered "Move", "Copy", "Link".  That way the user would do
> less mouse movement since the "Move" choise is by far most common.

No reason against that.

> We also don't need a "Cancel" item. It is inconsistent with other menus,
> and the user will have one more unecceary choise to worry about. The user
> can just as well click somewhere outside the menu just like he does if he
> cancels any other menu in KDE.

right.

> And I don't think using the menu should be the default option. New users
> that might not know what a link is shouldn't be forced to make a choise
> wether they wan't to link or not.

most users switching from ms-windows know what a "link" could be ( i think).
there it is called "shortcut" and its often in use.

> > -The left button dragging menu should show accelerator key. It was
> > pointed out that this is not possible cleanly so far which should be
> > considered a bug and fixed asap. After doing so users will see what keys
> > they can use to avoid the menu (and maybe optionally turn off the menu
> > altogether in the control center).

do you know, that you can avoid the menu right now in kde 3.0.3 by pressing
acc.keys? shift+mouse for moving, ctrl+mouse for copy and no pop-up menu
appears. so the functionality you want is always there, but not the default.
i personally never knew that before this evening...

hmm, and while you copy with ctrl+mouse, there also appears a nice little "+"
aside the mouse-pointer?

seems that there was the same discussion ages before...

greeting,
ralph