List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Use MDI or SDI with wisdom
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2002-11-01 11:47:49

On Friday 01 November 2002 12:53, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  But since you ask, could you first tell me how this would be useful. If
> > I put external taskbar at the top, how is this different from tabs (yeah,
> > I know it looks a bit different, but what's the _real_ difference)?
>
> The taskbar grouping is done automatically, whereas the window manager
> tabs are activated using an explicit user action. Basically Kwin needs an

 No, you don't understand (or maybe I still don't). Use external taskbar, turn
off grouping, make it show apps only on the current desktop. Now, how is
every virtual desktop different from a group of tabbed windows? Different as
'different in functionality'.

> extra API to allow apps to create tabs. Additionally users can force
> windows into tabs even if the app doesn't integrate it into its GUI. But
> with some nice calls it should be something like setEnableKWinTabs(true)
> in KMainWindow and be done with them, the entries are put in the menu bar
> automagically.

 I fail to see where there should be any API allowing application to
manipulate tabs handled by the window manager, instead of letting the WM to
handle it itself.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer