List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Use MDI or SDI with wisdom
From:       Klas Kalass <klas.kalass () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-11-01 9:57:36

Am Freitag, 1. November 2002 10:33 schrieb Lubos Lunak:
> On Thursday 31 October 2002 18:12, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> > Neil Stevens wrote:
> > > If there are cases wehre KWin isn't sufficient for you, *ask the KWin
> > > guys to improve it*. Come up with useful suggestions to make KWin
> > > better. Don't take the hackish way out, and ask 10 different app
> > > maintainers to add the same WM code over and over.
> >
> > It seems that one feature the KWin guys could add is the ability to
> > group multiple windows together using some kind of tab UI. Basically,
> > what Mozilla or Konqueror tabbed browsing does. Providing this
> > functionality in KWin would make it available to _every_ application in
> > a consistent manner.
> >
> > Do you know if the KWin guys are planning to implement this sometime in
> > the future?
>
>  Not that I'm aware of, though it could maybe slip in during the planned
> ... well, let's call it cleaning up for KDE3.2.
>
>  But since you ask, could you first tell me how this would be useful. If I
> put external taskbar at the top, how is this different from tabs (yeah, I
> know it looks a bit different, but what's the _real_ difference)?
The difference is that the tabs in one row all belong to one logical group, be
this grouped by app or grouped by the user and that moving/hiding/maximizing
does not need to be done for every window, but can be done once for all in
the group since they seem to share a window. That is really handy.

With an external taskbar you only have an overview of all windows (sometimes
need to access them via "submenus" if there is not enough space) and you
cannot treat all of them as one.

Try fluxbox with the dialog windows of the gimp tabbed together and you will
know what people like about it.