List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: True Font smoothing in X...
From:       Tim Jansen <tim () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2002-10-27 19:07:44

On Sunday 27 October 2002 20:26, Michael Pye wrote:
> > IMHO it is a rather embarrasing thing for KDE (+X11+...). If you need to
> > follow 50 complicated steps before you get readable fonts, I would
> > consider the system broken.
> It is. By a patent.

Most people (including me) do not care why the fonts are broken. I just want a
running system, and not waste my limited time on compiling packages unless I
plan to work on them. That's why I use Suse and not Gentoo or Debian.

The situation is that the fonts on Linux/Xfree are broken, and on other
systems (Mac/Win) they are working immediately. So the problem needs to be
fixed, and there are only three solutions: change the law, create a new fonts
that use an unpatented technique or pay royalties to Apple.

As long as the laws don't change, the distributions should either create new
fonts or pay royalties, whatever is cheaper for them. And whether you like it
or not, the reality is that sooner or later distributions needs to pay
royalties for things like fonts, audio and video compression. You can not
avoid it unless you refuse to use media from the rest of the world.

bye...