List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: True Font smoothing in X...
From:       Michael Pye <mp () fuckmicrosoft ! com>
Date:       2002-10-27 18:22:16

On Saturday 26 October 2002 5:33 pm, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Saturday 26 October 2002 17:48, David Höhn wrote:
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/27788.html
> > interesting article, is that distributed as a tip with the KDE document
> > centre?
>
> IMHO it is a rather embarrasing thing for KDE (+X11+...). If you need to
> follow 50 complicated steps before you get readable fonts, I would consider
> the system broken.

It is. By a patent.

> Beside that, I would hope that distributions fix it (in the worst case by
> paying licensing fees to Apple).

Well, gentoo fixes it. You are allowed to enable the patented process on your
own machine, but not to distribute binaries with it enabled. Gentoo downloads
the sources with the process disabled, enables it on your machine and then
compiles. :)

As for paying Apple, that's a slippery slope.
--
MP