List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: True Font smoothing in X...
From:       Christoph Held <c-held () web ! de>
Date:       2002-10-27 20:32:10

On Saturday 26 October 2002 18:33, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Saturday 26 October 2002 17:48, David Höhn wrote:
> centre?
>
> IMHO it is a rather embarrasing thing for KDE (+X11+...). If you need to
> follow 50 complicated steps before you get readable fonts, I would consider
> the system broken.
>
> Beside that, I would hope that distributions fix it (in the worst case by
> paying licensing fees to Apple).

I am a bit confused. I am using SuSE 8.0. It uses AFAIK a patent free render,
which is not perfect, but IMO acceptable. KDE 3.0 enables antit aliasing by
default, but does not select a True Type font. In KDE 3.1 setup searches for
true type fonts in the following order ms,luxi (xfree), ghostscript. With
current distributions and kde3.1, the desktop should start with anti aliased
fonts by default. I hope this will solve the problem.

Greetings

Christoph