List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: K-Menu/Xandros Launch
From:       Roland Seuhs <roland () hasos ! com>
Date:       2002-09-20 0:57:08

Am Freitag, 20. September 2002 00:38 schrieb Christoph Held:
> On Thursday 19 September 2002 22:31, Poletti Don wrote:
> > Looking at the screen shot Waldo posted I see that
> > Xandros expanded the K menu add the word Launch.
> >
> > My wife's laptop is current down so she tried to use my linux
> > machine to get to the web. It took here a while to figure out that
> > the K was the main menu. After that it was pretty easy but I can
> > see where the K could be mistaken for decoration and not
> > a menu.
>
> I have noticed the same. IMHO because,
>
> -average users expect the 'start' button, and are too afraid of clicking on
> the k and see what happens.
> -they don't notice the tiny arrow, or they think the black trieangle
> doesn't have any meaning
> -they don't understand the meaning of the 'k' (IMO 'KDE' would be much
> better)

Is that really a problem?

Some users might get a bit confused and might need a
few minutes to figure it out, but on the downside you waste valuable space
only to show "start" (or whatever).

Wouldn't it be better to include a short tutorial with pretty pictures?
Or a wallpaper with a big arrow and explanation "click here to start programs"?

You only need this hint once, not permanently. Permanently showing "Start"
is only a waste of valuable screen-space, IMO.

I might also add that  "Start" might be even
more confusing. Clicking on "Start" might start some terrible thing that will
trash the computer, after all.

If it's really necessary, I think the wallpaper would be best. - Similar to
Konqueror's about-screen - And it doesn't waste space. Also when the user
finally got the message, he can replace the wallpaper which is the only
config-setting such users change anyway.

Roland

--
"The Internet? We are not interested in it" -- Bill Gates, 1993