List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kde-usability digest, Vol 1 #638 - 11 msgs
From:       aludal <aludal () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-09-20 3:24:52

>From: Gordon Tyler <gordon@doxxx.net>
>To: kde-usability@mail.kde.org
>Subject: Re: Fwd: kdevmon new "usability"
>

>>0. Prerequsites. Imagine Konqueror/Mozilla/Opera on 2048x1536, 400mm-wide
>>

>Let me make a vast generalisation here and say that less than 1% of
>users run their computer at anything above 1024x768. Something like this
>dashboard would take up too much space.

Too much of routinely wasted space (all the free right part of upper
strip with Menu, navigation control buttons, etc)? It just cannot be,
whatever the resolution. Make it 10 cm long for 1024x768 on 17". Make it
even 5 cm long for 800x600 on 15". Moreover, I certainly wouldn't fight
for the place to put that dashboard side by side with 'Back', 'Forward',
'Reload', 'Home', 'Stop' buttons, I'd rather incorporate them into
clickable overlay in that dasboard window (together with 'Rewind
History' and other buttons I proposed). Well, yes, this "integrated"
dashboard will be much better for 600x800 screens of PDA's and other
(embedded Qt?) tablets.

>However, it certainly is an interesting idea for those have the desktop
>space to spare.

Well, like I said -- anyone and his mother-in-law has *this* space to
spare. To develop my dashboard metaphor a tidbit farther, who said that
a browser navigation controls must be ON TOP of the browser window? I
have my keyboard and mouse closer to the bottom of my display screen,
like 100 % of other users (or was it 99 %? ;-). So, by my past visual
(or imaginary) experience of driving a car, or plane, or starship I'd
rather have most important instrumentation and controls within closest
reach of my fingers. That is the bottom dasboard strip. My point here
is: make it stretchable, movable (top/bottom), even hideable like KDE
panel. This metaphor was meant only to enhance controls of navigation,
and never clutter anything.

Some good C++/Qt coding skills are needed still....

AU