List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Lycoris usability - not perfect but the way to go (as with Apple)
From:       wvl <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2002-08-30 20:25:01

On Friday 30 August 2002 22:08, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 30 August 2002 01:56, wvl wrote:
> > Yup. Wouldn't that be great? ;)
>
> let me be clearer:
>
> if the pages need to be generated dynamically, then there needs to be code
> to do this. if there needs to be code to do this, then we aren't getting
> away with an easier implementation. therefore we should use the interface
> medium that gives us the capabilities we need, e.g. a native interface.

Isn't the above definition of 'easier' 'easier to implement'?

> this does not mean we need to use a huge tree, or that we can't have pretty
> icons and expansive text, or that we can't have a logical interface.
>
> i'm merely pointing out that using HTML will not fix anything that a proper
> design will. and a proper design will be far more powerful than anything we
> could achieve with HTML.

I'm not trying to say that HTML is the solution. HTML is the means.

There is one huge point in favour of HTML:
 _almost every computer user_ is familiar with it.

I also mentioned that it allows us to provide the user directly with
descriptive text. This is incredibly useful and far more userfriendly than a
single named icon which is a doorway to a great many of different
configuration options.

How would the above be done in a native interface? It cannot be done in a
clean manner, I'd think.

- wvl