List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Lycoris usability - not perfect but the way to go (as with Apple)
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-08-30 18:13:26

On Friday 30 August 2002 12:00, daniel nagore wrote:
> There are some things that i want to tell to the list :
>
> 1º.- The problem with kcontrol: its too big. Lot of Menus that are anying
> for the normal user and finally you cant find what you want to modify in
> the Desktop. Look here:
>
> http://www.lycoris.com/products/desktoplx/control/
>
> As you can see, the submenus are more usable and ergonomy. The advantage is
> that it wouldn't require a lot of coding, just some html pages.

using khtml is not, IMO, an option. it's just asking for a
broken/misconfigured khtml so that the user can't (easily) get to their
configuration options.

yes, the layout of kcontrol could be much better. mockups (not screenshots of
other's work) and *.ui files along with explanations of them are more than
welcome.

> 2º.- Konqueror IOslaves: there are some brillant ioslaves, as smb:/ ,
> fish:/ or  devices:/. What on hearth the user is supposed to know that this
> features exists?

> http://www.lycoris.com/products/desktoplx/desktop/nb.php
>
> They use an icon (but would be an entry into the menu or something visible
> and intuitive for the user) to "open" the network and share documents.

there is the services sidebar item in konqueror, but i agree that a more
explicit means of finding these things would be good. perhaps a better
services page for konqi's sidebar... but someone needs to step up and do it

> 3º.-What about something similar to see all my devices as we can watch
> here? :
>
> http://www.lycoris.com/products/desktoplx/desktop/mls.php

there are device icons in CVS... however, they work only on the desktop. i'm
not sure how much work would be required to get them to also show in a
seperate window rather than the desktop.

> 4º.- What about for an intuitive menu as here? :
>
> http://www.lycoris.com/products/desktoplx/menu/productivity.php
>
> As we can see here, there arent names as Kword, Kivio or Kugar. I vote for
> two kind of menus: one with the original names and other with intuitive
> names (standar mode). But not the actual option (at least in KDE 3.0.x),
> that you can put intuitive names close the original. Its anoying.

there is a third option in CVS to have just the descriptive name. there will
be some alternative menu work done in 3.2 as well....

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein