List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Lycoris usability - not perfect but the way to go (as with Apple)
From:       daniel nagore <daniel_nagore () eresmas ! com>
Date:       2002-08-30 18:00:01

There are some things that i want to tell to the list :

1º.- The problem with kcontrol: its too big. Lot of Menus that are anying for
the normal user and finally you cant find what you want to modify in the
Desktop. Look here:

http://www.lycoris.com/products/desktoplx/control/

As you can see, the submenus are more usable and ergonomy. The advantage is
that it wouldn't require a lot of coding, just some html pages.

2º.- Konqueror IOslaves: there are some brillant ioslaves, as smb:/ , fish:/
or  devices:/. What on hearth the user is supposed to know that this features
exists? i am talking about information. Its a pity that companies uses this
features better that us. For example: i want to "open" my network. Then

FIRST: I have to read manuals or ask on IRC where can i share my documents
with the other terminals on the LAN (it was my case, and i have been using

SECOND: After it, i have to open a Konqueror season because i have informed
myself that this is the way.

And FINALLY: i have to type "smb:/" to see the network.

But Lycoris have used this feature a bit more usable as we can see here:

http://www.lycoris.com/products/desktoplx/desktop/nb.php

They use an icon (but would be an entry into the menu or something visible and
intuitive for the user) to "open" the network and share documents.

3º.-What about something similar to see all my devices as we can watch here? :

http://www.lycoris.com/products/desktoplx/desktop/mls.php

4º.- What about for an intuitive menu as here? :

http://www.lycoris.com/products/desktoplx/menu/productivity.php

As we can see here, there arent names as Kword, Kivio or Kugar. I vote for two
kind of menus: one with the original names and other with intuitive names
(standar mode). But not the actual option (at least in KDE 3.0.x), that you
can put intuitive names close the original. Its anoying.

These are three or four things that are easy to implement and its a pity that
have to be the companies that uses our tools better as Lycoris. I am not
talking about copy&paste their ideas, but use or tools in the rigth
direction.Finally, sorry if my english looks like a babelfish translate :-).
I am spanish.