List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kcontrol reorganisation (was Re: Control center organization/ clutter)
From:       Christoph Held <c-held () web ! de>
Date:       2002-08-30 7:53:05

Well, first a screenshot of lycoris - just for inspiration:
http://www.modemnet.net/articles/reviews/images/lycoris4.gi
There was much kudos sent to lycoris for their control center. I don't think
it's brilliant but a good step in the right direction.

The problem with kcontrol: its too big. IMHO I would suggest to break KControl
in smaller parts: e.g. make one KControl with all the look&feel kcms, one
KControl with all the system kcms. Let me explain:

First the user presses K then Control Center. Now instead of Kcontrol,
konqueror should be started with a html page. On this web page there are
links like 'Change behavior and appearance'. If the user press this link,
kcontrol starts with only the look&feel kcms.

The advantage is that it wouldn't require a lot of coding, just a good artist
for the html page.

Some more screenshots:
http://www.modemnet.net/articles/reviews/images/lycoris1.gif
and my personal favorite:
http://www.modemnet.net/articles/reviews/images/lycoris2.gif

I think the last screenshot comes cloes to such a html page.

Cheers

Christoph