List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KPersonalizer usability discussion
From:       Eric Ellsworth <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-08-29 22:31:10

> Hm, that implies, that the changes weren't made yet, but they are. What
> about "Quit and Keep Changes", "Quit and Revert Changes", "Cancel"?

Hmmm - the fact that the changes are made as you go might be what I think is
confusing.  It also makes it somewhat less responsive, as the whole screen
often disappears and has to be redrawn when you click next.  Would it be
terribly difficult to have it wait and apply all the changes at the end?

Even if changes are made as you go, the (average) user doesn't need to know
that, though it's probably good to put it in the documentation.

So what if hitting Quit invokes the following:
Are you sure you want to quit the KDE personalizer?

Kpersonalizer has prepared a list of settings to modify, but has not applied
these settings to your system.  If you quit now, these settings will not be
applied, and your system will be unchanged.

Press cancel to go back to using KPersonalizer

| Quit |  Cancel

However, this means that you can no longer use the method of quitting halfway
through to apply only some changes.  So to solve that, what if every page
included a checkbox:
	x   Don't change (themes, effects, behavior, language) settings.

Just as a point of congralutions about KPersonalizer, I should mention how
cool I think it is that you can decide how many visual effects you want one.
AFAIK, KDE is on the only desktop to that connects these settings with
processor speed in one place.

If I may suggest a couple wording changes here:

Eye candy is term that quite a few people may not know.  (it'd be interesting
to see how the i18n team has dealt with that word).  I think it's OK up by
Step 3, but it might be useful to change it elsewhere.

I made these and a couple other wording changes on the dialogs.  They're
attached.  Love to know what y'all think.

Cheers,

Eric
["kpersonalizer_dialogs.tar.gz" (application/x-tgz)]