List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kcontrol reorganisation (was Re: Control center organization/clutter)
From:       wvl <yatsu () wanadoo ! nl>
Date:       2002-08-29 4:15:33

On Thursday 29 August 2002 00:47, Eric Ellsworth wrote:
> Your list looks good - nice work.
>
> A few thoughts:
> > Accessibility
> 	Does this refer to settings people with disabilities, like large fonts or
> keyboard pointers, etc.?

Yes.

[Snip]
> > Look & Feel
>
> 	Don't love the name, but it's a good category to hang on to

'Appearance' or 'Appearance & Behavior' is also a possibility

> > Peripherals
> 	I think this one needs some careful thought.  It could be nice to include:
> 		Scanners
> 		Digital Cameras
> 		USB Memory and Disk Devices
> 		MP3 players
> 	The part I think is tricky is whether to include the mouse and keyboard in
> here.  The mouse is really a part of a base system these days, not a
> peripheral.  Doubly so for the keyboard.  Perhaps it should be called
> "External Devices" or "Digital Accessories"

I have an english background, but to be honest with you the word 'Peripheral'
means nothing to me. I too prefer 'Keyboard & Mouse' + some other category.
However 'Peripheral' should be well-known to most users of other OS-en.

> > System Administration
> 	Good.  What all goes in here?

Just about everything that went into 'System'. It's meant to house all applets
that effect all KDE users using the PC.

> > Multimedia
> 	I think it should include the word "Sound"

I agree, but the dictionary doesn't....

"mul·ti·me·di·a
adj.

   1. Of or relating to the combined use of several media: a multimedia
installation at the art gallery.
   2. Computer Science. Of or relating to an application that can combine
text, graphics, full-motion video, and sound into an intergrated package."

> > Localization
> 	Localization is a rather technical word.  Windows does "Regional settings"
> 	I take it this section includes language selection, keymap, date and time
> 	format, timezones.

Sounds good to me.

> > Date & Time
> 	Date and Time is sort of hard one to place.  Would it be terrible to have
> it appear in more than one place?

Not 'terrible' but rather: 'unacceptable' ;)

- wvl