List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Control center organization/clutter
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-08-28 18:25:36

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 06:17, Poletti Don wrote:
> Having caught up with cvs (sorry slow modem, changed cvs
> servers etc..)
>
> I see the CC has moved around quite a bit. I also see a few
> kcm's in more than one place, Is this intentional? is it
> some artifact by how I upgraded. For instance the background
> dialog is under desktop and look&feel. Kmail is in more than one
> spot, as is Power center
>
> Some add ional changes I think we should consider.
> 1) Move screen saver to from look&feel to desktop. It comes up
> under configure desktop.

agreed

> Also the Paths kcm should be under desktop
> for the same reasons. but I couldn't find it anywhere.

it's under the braindamaged "Advanced" group .. that whole group needs to be
dragged out back and shot. in its place i'd suggest Security (for crypto
(which is currnetly in network), passwords and perhaps login manager?),
components (for the component chooser, konsole, addressbook, spell checker,
etc...)

> Maybe it should
> be removed from configure desktop. If my system just has artifacts can
> someone tell me how to clean them out.

remove the share/applnk/Settings dir and do a make install from
kdebase/kcontrol

> 2) Should we move the font installer to the fonts kcm under look&feel? Or
> at least have a link to it.

yes, both of those should be in the same place IMO.

> 3) I think the "system" section should be completely rethought. Just like
> everything about a gui can be in look&feel everything else can be system.
> I think we should ditch system and redistribute the kcms into more
> meaningful
> branches.

yes, there is a jumble of stuff in there. most of them require root access at
some point, but there should be a better organization possible.

> 4) On the power kcm I wasn't sure if it was talking about my entire
> computer or just my monitor.

well, the power group should be removed and the power panels moved to
approriate places.

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein