List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: First-time tutorial outline
From:       Irwin K <emerald-arcana () rogers ! com>
Date:       2002-08-23 0:31:50

On Thursday 22 August 2002 06:29 pm, Eric Ellsworth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 	As I'm of the opinion that we can write the tutorial, and figuring out the
> technical questions once we've got some explanations, here's my crack at an
> outline:

Sander's Point 0 is very important: "What am I and what I'll do for you."

> I What's on my screen?
> 	a) Desktop
> 	b) Panel, called Kicker

Aside: You know, I wonder if we'll get rid of all this KDE-specific language.
It's really not adding anything to the usability and was only some sort of
gimmick.  Kicker should be "panel" and not kicker.  People don't visualize
kicker as a separate application on its own (like they don't see a login
screen as a separate application on its own).  You never hear of people refer
to the Windows taskbar as Microbar (or some other code-name).

> 		i. KMenu
> 		ii. App launch icons
> 		iii. Taskbar
> 	c) Windows
		i. What they are
		ii. How to move them around
		iii. How to resize them
		iv. "Extra tip": Shading windows
> II Get started in KDE
> 	a) Logging in and out
> 	b) Running programs
		i. From the panel
		ii. From the KMenu
		iii. "Extra tip": Using the 'Run' command
> 	c) Quitting programs
		i) By using File-Quit
		ii) By clicking on the X

At this point I would say the document is sufficient as a tutorial and should
be released.  I would make this point a milestone for "First Release of
Tutorial" and ensure that everything above this point is completed for a
release.

The rest of this looks more like a user's guide to me.  It should be there
with the pretty pictures and lots of links, of course, but maybe at a later
time.

> III Getting on the internet
> 	a) Konqueror
> 	b) Read email
> 	c) Instant messaging
> IV Managing your documents

What's supposed to be here?

> V Using programs that aren't in Kicker (&Kmenu)

I think this should be up there with "Running Programs".

> IIV Customizing KDE
> 	a) Customize
> 	b) Control Center
> 		i. concnetrate on Look and Feel
> 		ii. Link to other tutorials/data sources for other stuff
> 	c) Add a program to Kicker
> 	d) Customize the KMenu
> 	e) Eu nao falo ingles!  Handling KDE in various languages
> V Useful utilities
> 	a) Set up a printer in KDE
> VI Getting help
> 	a) App Help/KHelpCenter
> 	b) using the What's this button?
> 	b) Tutorials for
> 	c) Online
> 		i) mailing lists
> 		iI) IRC
> 		iii) websites/google
>

> Please add to this, subtract from it, gnaw on it with your teeth.

Saving this to HD.

--
-- Arcana  (Irwin)