List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: First-time tutorial outline
From:       Christoph Held <c-held () web ! de>
Date:       2002-08-23 7:13:08

On Friday 23 August 2002 00:29, Eric Ellsworth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 	As I'm of the opinion that we can write the tutorial, and figuring out the
> technical questions once we've got some explanations, here's my crack at an
> outline:
>
> I What's on my screen?
> 	a) Desktop
> 	b) Panel, called Kicker
> 		i. KMenu
> 		ii. App launch icons
> 		iii. Taskbar
> 		(Dicuss others later on)
> 	c) Windows
> II Get started in KDE
> 	a) Logging in and out
> 	b) Running programs
> 	c) Quitting programs
> III Getting on the internet
> 	a) Konqueror
> 	b) Read email
> 	c) Instant messaging
> IV Managing your documents
> V Using programs that aren't in Kicker (&Kmenu)
> IIV Customizing KDE
> 	a) Customize
> 	b) Control Center
> 		i. concnetrate on Look and Feel
> 		ii. Link to other tutorials/data sources for other stuff
> 	c) Add a program to Kicker
> 	d) Customize the KMenu
> 	e) Eu nao falo ingles!  Handling KDE in various languages
> V Useful utilities
> 	a) Set up a printer in KDE
> VI Getting help
> 	a) App Help/KHelpCenter
> 	b) using the What's this button?
> 	b) Tutorials for
> 	c) Online
> 		i) mailing lists
> 		iI) IRC
> 		iii) websites/google
>

> Please add to this, subtract from it, gnaw on it with your teeth.

BTW: Is 'first-time' referred to 'first-time' users or the first-time the
desktop starts? If you make it pop up at the first start IMHO most users will
just close it, because it would be too big (they don't want to run 1 hours
through the complete programm). IMHO a tutorial that pops up the first time
should be small with 5-10 slides and a user should be able to run through it
in 1/2 - 1 minute.

Cheers

Christoph