List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE Control Center
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-06 15:52:30

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 01:19 am, Christoph Held wrote:
> On Monday 05 August 2002 23:37, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>
> There are  problems with the old thememanger.
>
> 1. first it is not used at all. Not by artists and not by users.

I am aware of that...  what I wonder about is why that is.

> 2. It is confusing, because themes that are selectable in the thememanager
> are not selectable in the  other dialogs. e.g. one cannot select eclipse
> icons in the icon kcm. An artist has to decide between a theme and to
> install all components.

You can choose to select a subset of the components in the second tab.

> So far they always use the install option. If he
> makes a theme, all parts of the theme are not selectable in the normal kcm
> modules (e.g. widget style). With the new thememanger both will be
> possible.

It shouldn't be too difficult to hack into the current theme manager that it
installs e.g. color themes. However, if you have 3 themes around with icons
in it I can imagine that you don't want to have all those 3 themes unzipped
on your disk.

> The normal kcm modules will be hidden and only available through
> "advanced" buttons.

Which kcm modules will be hidden?

> It will make sense.

Sure.

> http://home.in.tum.de/~held/thememanager.png
>
> Greetings
>
> Christoph
>
> BTW: I think you have not tried the new kpersonalizer in cvs.

Why do you think that?

Cheers,
Waldo
--