List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE Control Center
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-05 21:37:20

On Monday 05 August 2002 02:14 pm, Christoph Held wrote:
> On Monday 05 August 2002 22:02, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Monday 05 August 2002 12:36 pm, Christoph Held wrote:
> > > On Monday 05 August 2002 20:24, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >
> > The old one is relatively flexible. You might be able to use the backend
> > of the old one and provide it with a new frontend.
>
> It's quite the opposite: I will use the old front end with a new back end
> ;-)
>
> O.K. Let me explain:
>
> The new "look" thememanager would have two tabed pages. In the first you
> can select the theme. e.g. Keramik theme. This will set keramik-widgets,
> kwin, keramik-colors, keramik-panel, keramik-splash, default-wallpaper,
> crystal-icons.

You can re-use the old theme backend to a large extend I think. When you
select a theme in the current thememanager you see on the second tab which
components are available. You would need to cache this information so that
you can provide a list with "all themes that have panel settings available"
without having to unpack all the themes all the times.

The current backend can already install selected parts of a theme. The only
thing to change would then be that you might have to install different parts
from different themes.

The current theme manager basically combines "installing" and "selecting".
When you select the theme, it gets installed. That means that as long as you
don't have selected the "whizbang them" the "whizbang-wallpaper" will not be
available from the background dialog and e.g. the "whizbang-icons" will not
be available from the icon-theme dialog.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian@suse.com