List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Direction of KDE default?
From:       Ian h <arcaneone () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-07-26 7:18:54

Based on recent emails, I noticed that people have
been arguing over the default setup of KDE and how
(certain control and media?)

Since most users will be used to Windows 9X/XP , the
initial setup must mirror that behavior model. This
means KDE should provide the new/inexperienced user a
gradual path to a more efficent way of using the
computer. The most important thing is that KDE hides
the OS it is running on top of.

Instead of commenting on individual items, I want to
layout a framework of what i think KDE's default (and
overall) behavior should. As someone said the average
user is interested in only getting thing done. In my
mind this means a improved version of what they are
use too. KDE should be "easier" use for most users.

By reading tool tips, tutorial and generally playing
with settings, some of these users will find that KDE
has better ways of doing things.  For them, setting
dialogs must be very clear, interactive(immediate
change on Apply) and most imporyantly be
non-destructive(restore and default settings buttons).
 An example of non-interactive action is having to log
out and back in again to just change the date format
will frustrate a user.

kpersonalizer should gather very generic info. these
would be desktop-wide fundamental peferences:
-> Behavior
--> Windows 9X/XP
--> Mac 9/X (not familar with either)
--> KDE
-> Locale
--> Country
--> Language
--> Special Options (tweak locale settings)
-> Handed - Left/Right (reverses mouse buttons,
related items)
-> Font Size (similar to Appearence setting under
Konqueror) Imporant for those with limited sight
(older people and those with impaired vision)to
increase the average size of fonts, the mouse pointer.
i.e. My dad gets annoyed because he can't this blanket
change in windows.
--> Tiny,Small, Normal(default),Large,...
->Installation  Type (better name??)
--> Laptop [?] - use more readable settings:
---> Increase contrast
---> Larger pointer
--> Expert [?] - bring up screens with additional
options (most of which are in current Kpersonalizer)

All file extentions must be set to the apropreate
install apps. In the same vein, devices should be
competely transparent. Whether using io-slaves or
auto/supermount the user has to have total control or
atleast be told why they can be. When it comes to
pluggable devices, the user must be notified on when
connected/disconnected. This is epecially important
whenprematurly disconnected or on a device error. The
assciated Application must be able to handle the error
correctly.

I think thats all, though its late so I'm sure I
missed something.

I welcome everyones comments.

-Ian