List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Opinions on gnome2 / KDE - continued. screenshots!
From:       Michael Peligro <mikepeligro () philwebinc ! com>
Date:       2002-07-25 7:58:49

On Thursday 25 July 2002 1:21 am, Uno Engborg wrote:

> Actually I don't set the time on my wall clock by myself as I live close
> enough to
> Brownswieig, Germany to  get the correct time from there by radio.
>
> And my computer clocks are set from the Swedish Testing and Reasarch
> Inststiute that does
> a similar job as NIST does in the US. So the I only  set the time is
> when I install my OS, and
> then I only specify a URL to the timeserver.
>
> Allowing each and every user to fiddle with the system time is generally
> not a good idea
> as it could result in back up problems, problems in version handling
> systems, or even login
> problems, e.g. if you use Kerberos.
>
> That's why I regarded it as a sysadmin task. But you evidently have
> other needs.

Gee, you have an advanced time-synchronization setup.

Your preferences not to set the time is a power-user preference.
I guess my preference closely aligns with home user, office user.

We do have different needs, but I believe the option to set the time should be
there for us ordinary users. Most of us rely on our computer's CMOS clock
lithium battery to keep time. We don't have an indicator when this battery
will run out of juice, but when that happens, I'd like to power down the
computer, replace the battery, boot-up again...

...and adjust the time.

Do you say we reinstall our operating systems whenever we change our lithium
batteries? I'd rather have an easy-to-use utility that sets it. It's sure
much safer than reinstalling the whole operating system.

Fact is: batteries run out, and they have to be replaced.

Programmers should be aware of this, especially with time-sensitive operating
systems such as Linux.

I know that backup problems, version handling systems and login problems with
Kerberos will become an issue here. Perhaps someone can code a program, a
system admin utility that will correct the time-related problems for all
affected files.

Michael Peligro