List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Mounting Media
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2002-07-21 20:14:37

And a last one for today :)

Christoph Held schrieb:

> On Sunday 21 July 2002 17:05, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Christoph Held schrieb:

> > > Yup but you will need the magic wand. Otherwise, it will never be
> > > possible to drop and drag files onto cdrw drives and it will never be
> > > possible to prevent loosing data, just to name two. Its a ill concept.
> >
> > Pardon, I don't get it. Where is the "ill" in the concept?
>
>  e.g. floppy:/ vs mounting. With floppy:/ joe user just can't do anything
> wrong. joe user could select floppy from the file dialog type the filename -
> done. It's just perfect.  With mounting there is so much that can go wrong.
> joe user might not find the mounting points, he might get lost in the root
> dir, he might try to unmount but has left a directory of the media open, he
> might not unmount at all. But I am lacking technical understanding -maby
> somone is doing miracles.

Yes, I agree: pure mounting of removables is not for joe user. Even not
for me. I don't like to have to check for the mount status. Maybe that
is why I always use the internet to transport my files to university and
back although I expect it to being more expensive (simple call-by-call
ISP) than using a floppy disc.

Too sad I don't have a good experience with supermount to finally get
you to the ground at this point ;) (Hey, is there noone else to help
me?)

> BTW: I am ashamed to tell the truth (really no joke). When I first started to
> use a sun workstation, I used I knife to eject cdroms...

Oh dear... hope your admin didn't find out. I had the luck to have
someone next to me to tell me to type "eject" on that prompt thingie
when I got in panic (was it really a floppy slot, not a ventilation
slot? no eject button next to it like at home) ;)

> > How can I save from openoffice to konqueror? Or Gimp? No, don't tell me
> > to save to my home directory, then move it within konqueror...
>
> yeaa, that's what I had in mind :o)

noooo... no way :o)

> > Yes. But where there is both access by kio-slaves and mounting by os
> > there should be only access by the os' vfs.
> >
> > > automount). But the data loosing file dialog would only be a non-kde
> > > feature.
> >
> > I must have missed something: please, what data loosing file dialog?
> > When is it shown?
>
> :-) mount /mnt/floppy, copy a file and eject (without unmount). AFAIK the file
> is not on the floppy, but I admit I have never tried... If you use floppy:/
> that can't happen, I guess.

whether the file is on the disc depends on the timing for the write
buffer, I guess, but my experiences with linux on x86 are a total
confusion of linux' vfs with remove before unmount (which fails and even
fails if you inserted the disc back AFAICR).

> Anyway, you have won since there isn't any code that supports the io slave
> concept ;-) Also joe's are not the typical users of kde. So it doesn't really
> matter.
It does.

I don't have won as long as there is a default "floppy:/" url behind the
floppy symbol on the desktop and elsewhere as default ;) (and the
perfect usage of supermount of course)

And I would like to have joe user as typical user, believe me. What is
easy for him, is easy for me :)

> Greetings
>
> Christoph

Back to work then ;)