List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Mounting Media
From:       Christoph Held <c-held () web ! de>
Date:       2002-07-21 17:55:25

On Sunday 21 July 2002 17:05, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Christoph Held schrieb:
> > >
> > > Unless someone improves it.
> >
> > Yup but you will need the magic wand. Otherwise, it will never be
> > possible to drop and drag files onto cdrw drives and it will never be
> > possible to prevent loosing data, just to name two. Its a ill concept.
>
> Pardon, I don't get it. Where is the "ill" in the concept?

 e.g. floppy:/ vs mounting. With floppy:/ joe user just can't do anything
wrong. joe user could select floppy from the file dialog type the filename -
done. It's just perfect.  With mounting there is so much that can go wrong.
joe user might not find the mounting points, he might get lost in the root
dir, he might try to unmount but has left a directory of the media open, he
might not unmount at all. But I am lacking technical understanding -maby
somone is doing miracles.
BTW: I am ashamed to tell the truth (really no joke). When I first started to
use a sun workstation, I used I knife to eject cdroms...

> How can I save from openoffice to konqueror? Or Gimp? No, don't tell me
> to save to my home directory, then move it within konqueror...

yeaa, that's what I had in mind :o)

> Yes. But where there is both access by kio-slaves and mounting by os
> there should be only access by the os' vfs.
>
> > automount). But the data loosing file dialog would only be a non-kde
> > feature.
>
> I must have missed something: please, what data loosing file dialog?
> When is it shown?

:-) mount /mnt/floppy, copy a file and eject (without unmount). AFAIK the file
is not on the floppy, but I admit I have never tried... If you use floppy:/
that can't happen, I guess.

Anyway, you have won since there isn't any code that supports the io slave
concept ;-) Also joe's are not the typical users of kde. So it doesn't really
matter.

Greetings

Christoph