List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Opinions on gnome2 / KDE - continued. screenshots!
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2002-07-21 19:26:15

wvl wrote:

>Seems my initial posting got hijacked by kpersonalizer supporters :)
>
>I've setup a simple webpage with a few screenshots and a short rundown on
>issues I mentioned. Please tell me what you think of how KDE compares to
>gnome2 in the screenshots.
>
>[edit] forgot the URL [/edit]
>
>http://home.wanadoo.nl/yatsu/index.html
>
>- wvl

Let's first look at the KDE screen shot.

What function do the KDE 3 lining of the KDE menu have?
It just clutters the menu. It also makes the menu selections appear at
a longer distance from the screen border.  This makes them harder
to hit with the mouse ( Fitts law)

The icon for locking the screen in the KDE menu and in the panel
applet is the same as the default icon for certificate files. This may
lead the user to believe that it configures SSL settings rather than
locking the screen.

It is also questionable wheter the lock screen and log out applets
are needed. After all they apper both in the KDE menu and in
the desktop menu.

It is also unclear what all thow up arrows in the panel do.
Most users probably realize that they are starting points
for menus. But menus controling what? E.g does the
menu belong to the applet in the panel or do they
belong to the panel itself. This is not really clear
to a new user. Some tooltips could help.

The clock applet is very hard to use.
If you click on the clock, a pop up calendar
appears. But there is no obvious way of closing
it. It is also not obious what the calendar that
pops up really does. Does it set the time (like
in windows) or does it just display a calendar.
But if it display a calender it should show days
with entries in your kcalendar somhow. And
it should be possible to add new calendar
events.

As for the Gnome screen shot:
The interface looks very clean.
What does the actions menu do?

The windows XP menu is horrible
Why are there delimiters between
mozilla and ie? Both are web browsers.
Is it because Mozilla isn't a MS program?
If so how is this interesting to the user?

By having two column they do not utilize
that the screen border is the largest target
for the mouse on the screen.

I also think that popup menus inside the
menu looks ugly. I would have preferred
if the "All programs" menu would have
bin at the right column. Then it could
have bin grouped with the run item.

And the name "start" is also somewhat
misleading as the menu can be used
to logout or shut the system down.

Regards
Uno Engborg

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]