List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Mounting Media
From:       Christoph Held <c-held () web ! de>
Date:       2002-07-20 22:52:22

On Saturday 20 July 2002 20:51, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Christoph Held wrote:
> > On Saturday 20 July 2002 15:43, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

> Unless someone improves it.

Yup but you will need the magic wand. Otherwise, it will never be possible to
drop and drag files onto cdrw drives and it will never be possible to prevent
loosing data, just to name two. Its a ill concept.

> > A user cannot make errors using floppy:/
> > but hole lot mounting it - including loosing data. If using media is
> > difficult or even results in loosing data, a user will say kde sux. If
> > its difficult for non kde apps to use media, a user will say kde ruls,
> > non kde sux. So os'vfs vs. kioslave should be a simple desicion, isn't
> > it?
>
> Yes. You already read mine :)
>
> Come on, what kind of work do you do on your computer? What apps are
> available? "Don't use non-kde apps" is a no-go. What about the freedom
> to choose the app? If I want to use star/open office I want. I have my
> reason. Same applies for joe user.
Well joe user would have to use konqeror. But this will make him more happy
than realizing the one hour work hasn't been saved at all.
> He is used to work with open
> office/gnumeric/opera/mathematica/eagle/whatever and wants to proceed
> this way. Why but this extra burden upon him? Aren't we talking about
> usability? Don't restrict to KDE, but face reality. There is a world
> outside KDE.

Using io-slaves does not prevent someone form mounting media (or using
automount). But the data loosing file dialog would only be a non-kde feature.

> For those keen to go the purist-kde way there may be a global setting or
> a page in kpersonalizer or wherever then, to switch between "kde-only"
> and "integrated" I would like to propose.

Yup, that's a good idea.

Of cource, this is all superficial talk since we are lacking some ioslaves.

Greetings

Christoph