List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Mounting Media
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2002-07-20 18:51:59

Christoph Held wrote:

> On Saturday 20 July 2002 15:43, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> t doesn't.
> >
> > 3.
> > Using kio-slaves for devices also accessable by the os' vfs results in
> > inconsistent view for non-kde and kde apps.
> >
> > -> don't use kio-slaves for devices supported by os' vfs!
> No, -> don't use non-kde apps ;-) Serious the os' vfs is inconvinient and will
> always look like a quick dirty hack.

Unless someone improves it.

> A user cannot make errors using floppy:/
> but hole lot mounting it - including loosing data. If using media is
> difficult or even results in loosing data, a user will say kde sux. If its
> difficult for non kde apps to use media, a user will say kde ruls, non kde
> sux. So os'vfs vs. kioslave should be a simple desicion, isn't it?

Yes. You already read mine :)

Come on, what kind of work do you do on your computer? What apps are
available? "Don't use non-kde apps" is a no-go. What about the freedom
to choose the app? If I want to use star/open office I want. I have my
reason. Same applies for joe user. He is used to work with open
office/gnumeric/opera/mathematica/eagle/whatever and wants to proceed
this way. Why but this extra burden upon him? Aren't we talking about
usability? Don't restrict to KDE, but face reality. There is a world
outside KDE.

For those keen to go the purist-kde way there may be a global setting or
a page in kpersonalizer or wherever then, to switch between "kde-only"
and "integrated" I would like to propose.

Friedrich